Custom Search

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Prague's Ultimate Walking Tour

While in Paris I kept reminding Jaf (Super Mowdil) to double check our ground transportation and to review the redemption instructions of our activity for Prague (Czech Republic). He was too lazy to review it and kept on insisting not to worry because once we arrive in Prague all we have to do is get out of the airport and our shuttle service will be waiting outside. I swept all my worries under the rug . He's quite a traveler himself.

We flew with Swiss Air. Our flight from Paris to Prague was connecting in Zurich, Switzerland with a two-hour stop over. The airport in Zurich was crowded. It was late in the afternoon when we arrived. Jaf was all over the place - looking for post cards, etc... while I insisted on staying near our boarding gate. P.A. system went to full blast. They were announcing that our flight from Zurich to Prague was fully booked and if there were passengers willing to take the next flight out (which is two hour later), they are willing to give shopping money amounting to 300euros (if i'm not mistaken). I got excited. Hahahaha! Wanted to give up my seat for extra mulla. Super mowdil declined saying that our stay in Prague is limited (3 days) already. Oh well.... he has a point, i thought. :)

We arrived around 10:30pm in Prague and it was snowing. The snow when we arrived wasn't as bad as this. Thank God!

Both of us were exhausted and hungry. I am ready ride the shuttle and go straight to our hotel. I asked for our vouchers. Jaf handed it over and when I reviewed the redemption instructions, i can feel the heat fuming out of my head and my ears felt like popping! The first bullet point stated:
"You MUST email the vendor at least 24 hours before your departure to ensure pick up at the airport."

I was in panic mode. When we got out of the airport there's no shuttle service in sight. The office was located two blocks away from the airport. In short, we had to WALK and brave the chilly weather plus the snow! Imagine Me: wearing a not-so-thick jacket, full poker face, towing two suit cases and cursing Jaf. Hahahaha!

When we arrived at the office of the shuttle service Jaf made drama telling the man behind the counter that he sent an email and wondered why we were not picked up. Hahahaha. Thank God they had excellent customer service. We were asked to wait for 30 minutes. Not complaining; it was our fault.

Finally, we were at our hotel after 45 minutes of driving time. It was past midnight already. We checked in and did not bother to unpack. We went straight to the restaurant across the hotel. Both of us were exhuasted after stuffing ourselves with food and slept to recharge our batteries for our six-hour of walking tour the following morning.

We stayed at King Charles Boutique Hotel:

And here's our messy room early in the morning:

Woke up at early and had breakfast at the hotel:

While Jaf was having breakfast, I had to go to our room ahead of him because I had to do my morning rituals (you know what i mean, right?). I was ready by 9:00am. Our meet up time for the tour was 10:00am and Jaf was still downstairs having breakfast! He got to the room 15 minutes after I readied myself. I kept on reminding him that the activity that he purchased (Ultimate Walking Tour of Prague) is non-refundable. He didn't mind - he was still busy watching tv (news) and trying to figure out what outfit to wear.

We left the hotel 10 minutes before 10am. Obviously we will be late for the tour. It was our first time in Prague and he had the guts to take his time. hahahaha! We took their local train and of course, the obvious came: WE ARE LOST & LATE! We took the reverse route going to the meeting place.

Jaf trying to figure out where we were and how to get to our point of destination while i kept on saying my mantra: "Activities are non-refundable." Over and over and over again.

We were an hour late. Thanks the his ever reliable iPhone ($1usd per minute), we found this hole in the wall office and catched up with the tour.

We went straight to The Wenceslas Square at the City Center to meet up with the group. Sorry bad photo quality. I was on a rush.

Our Tour Guide which I forgot the name thank you very much! :)

Astronomical Clock

The Oldest Opera House

The Ghost Statue

The Prague Castle right across the Volta River.

I think right across the river is the Communist Building (correct me if I am wrong). It was said to be the most feared building in all of Czechoslovakia


We had lunch at this Czech Restaurant:


I had this roast pork with potato dumplings:

Back to our walking tour after lunch:

Entrance to the Palace (what palace? Geez, I can't remember - senior moments). They don't tolerate people trying to make their guards laugh. Good luck to you if you do it.

The 700-year old Charles Bridge

Gotta love this cathedral window. Forgot which church though. With all the names and places they'd usually mention on these tours, you cannot simply remember everything.

This was our last day in Prague. I can say that everything i heard and knew about "Prague" was fulfilled on this trip! Goodbye!

5 comments:

  1. jenzil luzarita21/1/10 5:11 AM

    I remembered this story when we are still in training.hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Foxy Zayco21/1/10 6:29 PM

    hhahahaha i love how you describe everything!
    hmm...by the way, i can't imagine you cursing hahahaha but i wouldn't like to see you doing so. haha oh and saying "non refundable" all the time! funny...oh! and bravo to Jaf's lil drama in the office of the shuttle service. very clever! ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Foxy Zayco21/1/10 7:19 PM

    hey you could have taken pictures of you 2 walking...and you wearing a not-so-thick jacket, full poker face, towing two suit cases and cursing Jaf. ha ha! what an experience! at least you learned right...there's always

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenzil: Oh Yeah I mentioned this in class!

    "Foxy": I can't take a picture because it was too cold. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the non ref part!lol!

    ReplyDelete