Custom Search

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Mongkok for Lunch

We were thirty minutes early. We arrived at Mongkok at around 10:50am. I got excited to try their food. I've heard of Mongkok from my cousins & friends in Manila. They always brag about it but never had the chance to try it everytime I am there. Good thing it is now in Bacolod.


Today was their soft opening. We were their first customers. Menu is posted outside their main entrance so while waiting for them to open we already chose the dishes we wanted to try. Then I suddenly felt hunger knocking inside my tummy. While we were anxiously waiting for the waiter to turn the "close" sign to "open" we opted to have two pieces of triple choco at Mister Donut.

Finally, it was open! The place was empty still. We were the first customers. I always enjoy it when your the first customer to arrive because you have the option to choose your seats. I like the rustic ambience. Very casual. No pretentions. The flooring is just plain cement laid out nicely. It has high ceiling with red chinese paper lanterns layed out by rows.


We ordered the following: Crabstick with seaweed siomai (the white sauce tasted like bird's nest soup, is it?)


Beef Brisket with Cartilage

Shark's fin siomai


Assorted cold cuts: Not over the top but ok

I forgot the name, seafood something... grr... This eyelike!

And of course, their Mongkok Siomai! I heart this! We had four orders, I think.

Soyed Chicken
And of course, we had coke zero to quench our thirsts! Then the memory of my trip to Penang, malaysia in 1998 fashed back. I remember my Malaysian friend Ricky Lew brought me to Chinatown in Penang to have Authentic Dimsum. Ricky asked me what I wanted to drink and when I said "coke", he laughed. He said you drink tea when eating dimsum. Ngek!
Going back:
We assumed that they accept credit cards because this sign was posted on their main door. Then when I asked for my check and gave my card, they said they don't have a telephone line yet and their machine will arrive next week! Next Week! Then, remove this sign to avoid confusion! Hello!

I did not bring enough cash with me. Good thing Donits was there. He was my savior. He paid directly at the cashier. The waiters were already busy. I think there were only three waiter manning the entire place and it was getting packed.

Donny informed the owner that we were in the impression that they accepted major credit cards because of the signage posted on the main door. And politely asked him if they can remove it until they have the machine handy.

He requested for an official receipt and was given an order slip. We have to come back for it next week. Forgiven. This is their soft opening day.

I am still coming back here. I love the food. The service was fast & efficient. Mongkok is located at the ground floor of Terra Dolce Mall, Shopping, Bacolod City, Philippines.

3 comments:

  1. I love Chinese food and there siomai looks really yum...i will definitely drag one of my bestfriend to try this place =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of the best chinese restos in the city. I am not a fan of chinese cuisine, but this one is an exemption.. I love their food, Its delicious. and their service is fast.. good that they opened one in Bacolod..most of their branches are in Manila :)

    btw, nice blog joe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very happy that you enjoy my blog. I hope you wont get tired visiting my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete